EFG Sailing Team 2015
Last year saw an interesting and adventurous mix of events, with the successful EFG Moth Euro Cup and our EFG Match Racing Team. In 2015, we are looking to emphasise the team aspect again with a good mix of high profile events. The new year has already started with a bang at the Moth World Championships in Sorrento, Australia, where Chris Rast finished 7th out of more than 160 participants. Among them was a long list of who is who in the sailing world including Olympic medalists, America’s Cup professionals and multiple World Champions. Chris will be competing in select Moth regattas during the course of the year.
In addition, the main pillars for 2015 are:
- Melges 24 World Championships in Middelfart, Denmark.
- Sailing Champions League and Swiss Sailing League.
- Tour de Suisse on Level 8.5.
- Match Racing events.
Melges 24 World Championships in Middelfart, Denmark
With the Worlds back in Europe we are expecting a big fleet to show up. To prepare for this event, we will be sailing at various regattas in Italy and Switzerland. The crew will consist of familiar EFG Sailing team members, some of which won the Danish Championships in 2013 held in the same venue! Melges 24 has proven to be a solid platform and it will be great to get the team back together in this challenging international class.
Melges 24 Practice Events:
- April 3-5, 2015. Audi Tron Sailing Series, Loano, Italy.
- May 1-3, 2015. Audi Tron sailing Series, Portovenere.
- June 30 – July 5, 2015.
- April 24-26, 2015 Thun, Switzerland.
- October 2-4, 2015 Lake Constance.
- September 17-19, 2015 Porto Cervo, Sardinia.
- October 23-25, 2015 Royal Thames Yacht Club, London.
- May 23, 2015. Rapperswil, Zürich, Lake Zurich.
- June 13, 2015. Bol d’Or, Lake Geneva.
- July 4-5, 2015. Uristier, Lake Lucerne.
- September 12, 2015. Tag & Nacht Regatta, Lake Thun.
- May 9-10, 2015. Helsinki, Finland Match Race.
- June 4-7, 2015. Swiss Open Match Race.
- July 17-19, 2015. Dziwnow Poland Match Race.
- September 12-13, 2015 Zurich Match Race.
- September 26-27, 2015. Ravenna Match Race.
Melges 24 Worlds:
Sailing Champions League and Swiss Sailing League
Following a great showing at last year’s Champions League in Kopenhagen, EFG Sailing Team is again aiming to represent the Thunersee Yachtclub at the finals held in Sardinia and London. We will have to win the qualification events in Switzerland on Lake Thun and Lake Constance.
Tour de Suisse on Level 8.5
Last year, our long time team member Rene Schenk (professional boat builder) designed and built a high‐performance racing sailboat to compete and win the prestigious long distance races (such as the Bol do’Or) held in Switzerland. Together with our other core EFG Sailing Team members the boat has already won its first events and is now ready to take on the big long distance races.
Match Racing events
We have already started the season with the first match‐racing event in Scarlino, Tuscany at the beginning of March. We have a couple more events in Switzerland and Europe where we would like to further hone the EFG Match Racing skills.
Match Racing dates: